Isa 7:14 - Mt 1:23

Exchange relating to topics concerning OT prophechies of the coming Messiah Jesus

Moderators: BC Editor, Moderators

Isa 7:14 - Mt 1:23

Postby BC Editor on 24 Nov 2007, 08:29

Dear all,
Mt 1:22-23 mentions that something was fulfilled which was "said by the prophet", and almost always it is interpreted as a reference to what Isa 7:14 says:[verse]Isa 7:14 (KJV)
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.[/verse]A question arises as to how Isa 7 was fulfilled in Mt 1, seeing - for example - that Jesus himself was never named or called "Immanuel"? He was named "Jesus", cp both Mt 1:25 (Joseph called his name Jesus) and also Lk 1:31 (the angel Gabriel telling Mary that she should call her son's name Jesus).
Another question arises, how the fulfillment of this prophecy could be a sign for the king in Isaiah's time, seeing that Jesus was born many centuries later? (cp also the topic on "double fulfillment of prophecy")
Input and further insights are appreciated.
God bless you,
Wolfgang Schneider

(BibelCenter Editor)
BC Editor
Administrator

Re: Isa 7:14 - Mt 1:23

Postby Durbin on 06 Jun 2009, 04:48

I have no input but would like to see some! I can take Matthew's account as true and inspired of God and that's that but I'd like to see other views. Like this is just tradition recorded by Matthew and simply his interpretation without much more comment on it than he said in the context or even that is not a fulfillment and why.

By the way, was this fulfilled in Isaiah's time and when, where, how?
Beware of Sham-Wow imitators!
Durbin

Re: Isa 7:14 - Mt 1:23

Postby BC Editor on 07 Nov 2010, 15:03

Hi

Durbin wrote:By the way, was this fulfilled in Isaiah's time and when, where, how?

how could it have been a sign to the king at that time, if it was not fulfilled then? If it was not fulfilled, then either Isaiah was a false prophet or God Himself was a liar because He had His prophet proclaim a lie ...

Since I do not consider God to be a liar, nor do I consider Isaiah to be a false prophet, I do therefore think that the prophecy must have been fulfilled in Isaiah's time. Whether or not we have a detailed record in the Scriptures about how it was fulfilled (perhaps the reference was actually to one of Isaiah's sons?) is not absolutely necessary for the prophecy to have been true and to have been fulfilled as declared by the prophet.
God bless you,
Wolfgang Schneider

(BibelCenter Editor)
BC Editor
Administrator

Return to OT prophecies