New things or old in Gospels

Exchange relating to topics concerning the life and ministry of Jesus Chris

Moderators: BC Editor, Moderators

New things or old in Gospels

Postby Durbin on 13 Jun 2009, 22:38

Is the kingdom of God theme new in the Gospels or was it talked about before? Also was casting out devils new? We see Jesus Christ do it and the pharisees also then disagreement how it was done. Where were these things in Judea before the Gospel period? It seems like devil possessions and casting devils out is common knowledge in the Gospel period yet I don't see much if any of it in the times before then.

Do I need to read Intertestimental apocrypha?

There was miracles mentioned before the Gospel period with Moses, Elijah etc but where did belief in devil possession and casting out devils and the kingdom of God theme come from?

Is there any other new stuff in the Gospel period with the Jews that wasn't in the Old Testament?
Beware of Sham-Wow imitators!
Durbin

Re: New things or old in Gospels

Postby BC Editor on 14 Jun 2009, 22:24

Hi John

Durbin wrote:Is the kingdom of God theme new in the Gospels or was it talked about before?

it seems to me that the kingdom of God topic was spoken of as promised in the OT scriptures as well ... cp Daniel's prophecies concerning a coming kingdom.

Durbin wrote:Also was casting out devils new? We see Jesus Christ do it and the pharisees also then disagreement how it was done. Where were these things in Judea before the Gospel period? It seems like devil possessions and casting devils out is common knowledge in the Gospel period yet I don't see much if any of it in the times before then.

From my current understanding of the Scriptures, it seems that the topic of demon possession and casting out of devils was not mentioned in Scripture prior to the events in the ministry of Jesus which we read in the gospels. From what we read there, it does appear as if people at the time were somewhat familiar with the evil effects of "demons" and/or "demon possession" as cause for certain sicknesses ...

Durbin wrote:Do I need to read Intertestimental apocrypha?

I don't remember specific sections from the various apocryphal books I have read which contain further details on these topics ... in general, it might be helpful to read those books for a better understanding of the historic background and the situation of the nation of Israel at the time of Jesus

Durbin wrote:There was miracles mentioned before the Gospel period with Moses, Elijah etc but where did belief in devil possession and casting out devils and the kingdom of God theme come from?

I am not sure if there is a record which would detail where more details about those topics came from ... the promise and declaration of the kingdom of God certainly was part of God's plan and His revelation as more and more of it was made known to man via the prophets

Durbin wrote:Is there any other new stuff in the Gospel period with the Jews that wasn't in the Old Testament?

There may be .... although, I can' t think of any particulars right now
God bless you,
Wolfgang Schneider

(BibelCenter Editor)
BC Editor
Administrator

Return to Life and ministry